Educational Credentials Assessment (ECA) Canada (Explained)

Educational Credentials Assessment (ECA) Canada (Explained)

Educational Credentials Assessment (ECA) Canada is a process used to evaluate foreign educational credentials to determine their equivalence in terms of Canadian education standards which is used in any kind of Colleges or Universities the international student wants to study in. This assessment is typically required for individuals who have obtained their education outside of Canada and are seeking to immigrate to Canada, apply for Canadian permanent residency, or pursue further education or professional certification in Canada.

The ECA Canada is conducted by designated organizations or agencies approved by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). in Canada only. These organizations assess the educational credentials of applicants and provide a report that outlines how the foreign credentials compare to Canadian educational standards.

The assessment helps Canadian immigration authorities and educational institutions make informed decisions regarding an individual’s qualifications and is an important step in various immigration and educational processes in Canada. It provides a standardized way to evaluate and recognize foreign educational credentials, facilitating smoother transitions for individuals who have obtained their education in other countries.

Getting An ECA Canada

If your spouse or your partner is accompanying you and he/she also has a post-secondary degree, then they can also ECA Canada. Not obligatory for the Express Entry’s submission, having an ECA for you partner is beneficial as it can help you to claim those additional CRS points for their education & ultimately permanent residence in Canada. Well, you must also know that the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) only accepts ECAs from designated organizations which are given down below.

Well, if you’re into the medical field and unless you are a Doctor or Pharmacist, you should opt for World Education Services (WES) for their Educational Credentials Assessment (ECA) due to its efficient processing time. If you are a Doctor, the Medical Council of Canada is responsible for evaluating your primary medical diploma.

For Pharmacists seeking a practice license, the ECA must be obtained from the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada. Regardless of the chosen organization, the evaluation process can only commence upon receiving the necessary documents from you or your educational institution, including official transcripts and usually a copy of your diploma or degree.

Also, this evaluation process itself my take some periods of around span several weeks to months. Given that an ECA is a necessity for eligibility to submit to the Express Entry pool, especially for skilled worker applications creating the ECA process and is typically one of the initial steps in the Express Entry immigration procedure.

Saving Money on Your ECA

  • Tip 1: Opt for the ECA Application for IRCC instead of the pricier standard option.
  • Tip 2: Save nearly $80 by using a standard courier service, as you only need the PDF for your Canada application, provided upon completion of the report.
  • Tip 3: Skip sending the report to additional recipients; the PDF suffices for your needs.
  • Tip 4: Evaluate all your higher education simultaneously. Most ECA issuing institutions charge per application rather than per degree. Processing multiple degrees in a single application saves both time and money.
  • Tip 5: Assess whether your spouse needs the ECA report. Calculate your CRS score with and without points for your spouse’s degree. If your points are sufficiently high, you can forego this application.

Determining the Necessity of an ECA Evaluation

Not all immigration applicants are required to undergo an ECA evaluation. However, for those intending to participate in the Federal Skilled Workers Program, undergoing an ECA is mandatory.

The Federal Skilled Workers Program, commonly referred to as the Express Entry program, expedites the immigration process for individuals based on their skill set.

If you hold a degree from a foreign institution and aspire to have it recognized in Canada, an ECA becomes crucial, particularly when pursuing a career or job aligned with your credentials

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: How do I get an ECA certificate?

To obtain an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) certificate, you typically need to follow these steps:

  • Choose a designated organization approved by the immigration authorities in the country you’re applying to (e.g., World Education Services, International Qualifications Assessment Service, etc.).
  • Submit your academic credentials and required documents.
  • The designated organization will assess your educational qualifications and provide you with an ECA report, which includes the equivalency of your foreign credentials to the Canadian education system.

Q: What is an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)?

An ECA is a process that evaluates and verifies foreign educational credentials to determine their equivalence in terms of the education standards of the country where you are applying for immigration or further education. It is often required as part of immigration applications or when seeking admission to educational institutions.

Q: Who is eligible for ECA?

ECA is typically required for individuals who have obtained their education outside the country to assess the equivalency of their foreign credentials. Eligibility depends on the specific immigration program or educational institution’s requirements.

Q: How do I get my ECA score?

The ECA process usually results in a report rather than a numerical score. The report outlines how your foreign educational credentials compare to the educational standards of the country where you are applying. It provides information about your qualifications but doesn’t assign a specific numerical score.

Q: How can I get ECA in India?

If you are in India and need an ECA for immigration to Canada, you can choose a designated organization that offers ECA services and follow their application process. Organizations like World Education Services (WES) and others may have specific procedures for applicants in India.

Q: Do I need ECA for my high school degree?

The need for an ECA depends on the immigration program or educational institution’s requirements. In some cases, only post-secondary education may be assessed, while in others, a comprehensive assessment of all educational credentials, including high school degrees, may be required. Check the specific requirements of the program or institution you are applying to


Subscribe to our Newsletter

Immigration Topics