PR For International Students (Get PR after studies)

PR For International Students (Get PR after studies)

Getting Permanent Residence (PR) as an international student means becoming a long-term resident of Canada & is the dream of many immigrants who come to the country in the hope of improving their lives through education & work. And, making Canada your permanent home. Well, to be a permanent resident of the country & to get PR, you usually need to follow certain pathways of Permanent Residency Programs in Canada.

But it’s not just about work; you also need to think about how long your study program is. If you’re doing a bachelor’s degree, it usually takes four years, and for master’s programs, it’s around two years.

So, getting PR might take you anywhere from two to five years, depending on your study program and the work experience you get afterward. It’s a way for international students to stay and build a life in Canada.

Know Language, Skills & Educational Requirements

1. Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB)

  • CLB System Overview: The Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) is a system used to assess and categorize language proficiency in English for individuals seeking to immigrate to Canada.
  • Language Proficiency Levels: CLB levels range from 1 to 12, with each level representing a different degree of language proficiency. Higher CLB levels indicate stronger language skills in areas such as listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
  • Immigration Requirements: CLB levels play a crucial role in immigration processes, especially for programs like Express Entry. Applicants must often demonstrate a minimum CLB level to be eligible for certain immigration streams. Well, you can check out all the scores in the table given above & check for yourself in which CLB level you fall as per your results.
  • Integration into Immigration Programs: Well, your CLB scores are quite essential & play a key factor in the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) used in Express Entry for Permanent Residency in Canada. Higher language scores contribute to a candidate’s overall CRS score, enhancing their chances of receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence.

Note: Language test results remain valid for 2 years from the test date and must be current on the day you submit your PR application

2. National Occupational Classification (NOC)

  • NOC Classification: The NOC categorizes jobs in the Canadian labor market based on the occupation category and the skills, education, and experience required for each role.
TEEROccupation typesExamples
TEER 0Management occupationsAdvertising, marketing and public relations managers, Financial managers
TEER 1Occupations that usually require a university degreeFinancial advisors, Software engineers
TEER 2Occupations that usually require

  • a college diploma
  • apprenticeship training of 2 or more years, or
  • supervisory occupations
Computer network and web technicians, Medical laboratory technologists
TEER 3Occupations that usually require

  • a college diploma
  • apprenticeship training of less than 2 years, or
  • more than 6 months of on-the-job training
Bakers, Dental assistants and dental laboratory assistants
TEER 4Occupations that usually require

  • a high school diploma, or
  • several weeks of on-the-job training
Home child care providers, Retail salespersons and visual merchandisers
TEER 5Occupations that usually need short-term work demonstration and no formal educationLandscaping and grounds maintenance labourers
Delivery service drivers and door-to-door distributors
  • TEER Levels: TEER stands for Training, Education, Experience, and Responsibilities. Occupations are classified into TEER levels to represent the qualifications and requirements associated with each job.
  • High-Skill Occupations for Immigration: TEER 0, 1, 2, and 3 (previously Skill Type 0, and Skill Level A and B) are considered high-skill occupations. These occupations are eligible for skilled worker immigration programs, such as the Express Entry system.
  • Low-Skill Occupations for Immigration: TEER 4 and 5 (previously Skill Level C and D) are considered low-skill occupations. While they may not require a lot of formal education, they may involve on-the-job training.
  • Immigration Programs: Skilled worker programs, like Express Entry, often prioritize individuals with skills and qualifications corresponding to TEER 0, 1, 2, and 3 occupations.

Note: The below provinces in Canada have their own immigration programs

AlbertaBritish ColumbiaManitoba
New BrunswickNewfoundland and LabradorNorthwest Territories
Nova ScotiaOntarioPrince Edward Island

3. ECAs & DLIs

Educational Credential Assessments (ECAs):

Educational Credential Assessments (ECAs) are an essential component of the Canadian immigration process, particularly for individuals who have obtained their education outside of Canada. An ECA formally evaluates foreign educational credentials to determine their Canadian equivalency. This assessment helps immigration authorities understand the educational background of applicants.

  • Purpose and Importance: ECAs are crucial for individuals applying through various immigration programs, such as Express Entry. The assessment ensures that foreign educational qualifications are recognized and considered when determining eligibility for immigration.
  • Recognized Assessment Organizations: Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) designate specific organizations to conduct ECAs. These organizations evaluate educational credentials to determine their equivalence in the Canadian context

Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs):

Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) are institutions in Canada that are authorized to host international students. Students who wish to study in Canada must choose a DLI to pursue their studies. DLIs are recognized by provincial and territorial authorities.

  • Eligibility for Study Permits: Only students attending DLIs are eligible to apply for a Canadian study permit. The institution’s DLI status is a crucial factor in the approval process for study permits.
  • Quality Assurance: DLIs are subject to quality assurance standards to ensure that international students receive high-quality education and have a positive learning experience while in Canada.

Major Permanent Residency Programs in Canada

ProgramBasic Eligibility CriteriaEducation RequirementLanguage RequirementFunds Requirement
Atlantic Immigration Pilot (AIP)– A job offer from a designated employer in Atlantic Canada – Qualifying work experience – Education equivalent to Canadian standards – Ability to settle in Atlantic Canada – Proof of funds to support yourself and family membersHigh school diploma or equivalentMinimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4 in English or FrenchSufficient funds to settle in Canada
Canadian Experience Class (CEC)– At least one year of skilled work experience in Canada – Must meet language requirements – Plan to live outside the province of Quebec – Immigration status while working in Canada must be maintainedNo education requirementMinimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs, CLB 5 for NOC B jobsSufficient funds to settle in Canada
Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)– Job offer or certificate of qualification in a skilled trade – At least two years of full-time work experience in the skilled trade within the five years preceding the application – Meet the job requirements for the skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC)Secondary education or equivalentMinimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 in English or FrenchSufficient funds to settle in Canada
Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)– Skilled work experience – Meet minimum language levels – Have enough money to support yourself and your family – Plan to live outside the province of QuebecAt least one year of continuous full-time or equivalent part-time workMinimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs, CLB 6 for NOC B jobsSufficient funds to settle in Canada
Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)– Nomination from a specific province or territory – Must intend to reside in the nominating province – Demonstrate the skills, education, and work experience to contribute to the economy of that province – May have a job offer from a province or be nominated through a non-Express Entry streamVaries by provinceVaries by provinceVaries by province
Rural Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP)– Full-time job offer from an employer in one of the participating communities – Qualifying work experience or education – Intention to live in the community – Proof of funds – Meet community-specific requirementsVaries by CommunityMinimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4 in English or FrenchSufficient funds to settle in Canada and meet community-specific criteria

Quebec Skilled Worker

– Intended to settle in Quebec – Points-based system – French language proficiency – Education, work experience, and other factors consideredGenerally, a diploma or degree in a field related to the targeted job or a recognized area of training.Proficiency in French is often required. Depending on the immigration stream, language test scores may be needed.Applicants need to show they can support themselves financially. This may include proof of funds or a job offer in Quebec.

Quebec Experience Program

– Intended to settle in Quebec – Points-based system – French language proficiency – Education, work experience, and other factors consideredCompletion of a study program in Quebec, or at least one year of work experience in Quebec in the last two years in a skilled, managerial, or professional occupation.Proficiency in French is usually required, and language test scores, such as TEF or TCF, may be necessaryAdequate financial capacity to settle in Quebec without needing government assistance is necessary. Proof of funds may be required.

Essential Documents Required for Canada PR visa

  • Educational Transcripts
  • Work Experience Letters
  • Qualifying WES reports
  • IELTS Score Results
  • Valid Passport
  • Medical and Police Clearance Evidence
  • Proof of identity

Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs )

Q: How many years does it take to get PR in Canada for international students?

The time to get permanent residency (PR) in Canada for international students varies. Typically, after completing a qualifying program, international students may be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which can be a stepping stone to PR through immigration programs.

Q: How to get PR in Canada after 1 year of study?

After one year of study, international students can become eligible for a PGWP. By gaining Canadian work experience through this permit, they can enhance their chances of qualifying for PR through pathways like Express Entry or Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).

Q: What is the best way for international students to get permanent residence in Canada?

The best way for international students to secure PR often involves obtaining a PGWP after completing a qualifying program. Gaining Canadian work experience and then applying through immigration pathways like Express Entry or PNP are common routes to permanent residency.

Q: International Student Health Insurance

Health insurance is crucial for international students in Canada. Most provinces require students to have health coverage. Institutions typically offer health insurance plans, and students can also opt for private insurance to cover medical expenses during their studies. Compliance with specific health insurance requirements in the province of study is essential


Subscribe to our Newsletter

Immigration Topics